Monday, March 21, 2011

Rock Crystal
















Just sitting here wondering how my love for all things gem and mineral relates to my love for cooking.  Rock crystal candy of course!  I remember going into candy stores as a child and being obsessed with the formations of rock candy and the pretty colors.  As a grown up I would much prefer rock candy on a stick for sweetening my ice tea and skip the childhood memory of a mouthful of sugary sweet crunch.

After doing a Google search for recipes I came across Christian Grantham's Flickr page chronicling the process of failures and success and a winning recipe.  It seems the secret is starting the sticks with a bit of eggwhite brushed on them and rolled in sugar before adding to the jar of sugar and water mixture.  With some flavored extracts added to the mixture I think a whole grown up version could be in my future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment