Thursday, January 20, 2011

If I Had a Hammer

23.  Not my age or my favorite number.  23 Hammers.  That doesn’t include the one in my household toolbox that would make 24.

Made from wood, nylon, rawhide or steel.  Each with a different task for riveting, shaping, forming, raising, planishing and chasing. 

I can not explain how this gathering has happened, except to say that what one can do with a hammer to make a simple sheet of metal twist into a complex shape is awe-inspiring.  

My all time favorite hammers are from NC Black and designed for micro forming.  They teach amazing workshops not to be missed.  Tools and workshop schedule can be found on their website www.ncblack.com

But the one hammer that holds a special place in my heart is the one pictured above that my dad gave me.  It is just 8” long and 2” across, he made it himself when he was in high school metal shop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment